All Office of Public Archaeology projects integrate GPS/GIS software and field equipment to facilitate production of highly accurate maps displaying individual sites and features. These may be reconciled with project engineering plans and other digital data.
The Office of Public Archaeology uses the latest version of ESRI’s ArcGIS software for mapping and data display and analysis, including:
- Project feature shapefiles for use in field GPS units
- Georeferenced historical maps
- Aerial photography, topographic maps,and other survey aids
- Shapefiles of cultural site boundaries
- Archaeological predictive modeling